You know how much of a food lover I am. I enjoy making versions of well-loved dishes and putting a personal touch to make it more special!
One of our pantry staples will have to be the humble potato… Yay! It’s been a regular part of whatever recipe we’re cooking.
My daughter super loves potatoes, so I make sure they’re always in my grocery cart. Not only are they affordable and versatile, but they’re good for the body, too.
· only 110 calories per 5.3 oz serving with skin-on
· excellent source of vitamin C
· has more potassium than a banana
· provides vitamin B6, dietary fiber, and protein
· contains zero fat, sodium, cholesterol, and gluten
We all need to be extra healthy these days. Eating right is important and including potatoes in our meals is always a win. They go with just about everything, they taste amazing, and they’re highly nutritious.
Plus, don’t forget to workout too! Daily exercise is a must if you want to stay healthy. Another good thing about potatoes is that it’s a “performance fuel”. You can enjoy them as a pre, during, and post workout meal or snack because aside from the nutrients mentioned above, potatoes also provide complex carbohydrates for energy.
Here’s one delicious dish I prepared over the weekend. It’s my yummy and filling version of the Picadillo. I love having Latin American cuisine at the comfort of my home, and mixing our very own Pinoy flavors, and U.S. potatoes into this recipe definitely turned this into one amazing dish! I’m sharing it here so you can also try it, and it’s no secret that it’s gonna be so worth it!
2 pieces U.S. Russet Potatoes, diced
400 grams ground beef
3 pieces ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 piece carrot, diced
1 piece white onion, minced
1 piece green bell pepper, diced
5 pieces, green olives, whole
½ cup, raisins
½ cup, green peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup water
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1. On medium heat, pour olive oil in a deep pan or pot.
2. Sauté onion and garlic (until half-cooked).
3. Add the ground beef, soy sauce, and sugar (wait until it turns light brown).
4. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and water (mix and cover for 10 to 15 mins).
5. Add the raisins, green peas, bell peppers, and olives (mix and cover for 5 to 10 mins).
6. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper.
7. Serve with white rice and enjoy while hot!
This appetizing dish is already a meal in itself! But we all love that rice on the side, right?
A variety of top quality U.S. potato products (fresh, frozen, and dehydrated) are available in all leading supermarkets.
Thanks for joining me in my food adventures. Until next time!